Saturday, July 24, 2010

July 22, 2010 Session Report

Attendance of seven for tonight's session: Ron, Mike, Paul, Greg, Clayton, Ben S and myself were the attendees. Got to play two of my favorite games: Maillot Jaune and Puerto Rico, plus Ben had brought Blox, which was also played.

Last week of the Tour de France, so I dusted off my prize OOP game called Maillot Jaune. We randomly rolled for a course with a nice downhill finish and played with the all-time great teams set I had put together last year. I had the US team and managed to set up Lance Armstrong for a nice win. There was a four-way sprint for second, which went to Greg (with Indurain, Spanish team) ahead of Ron (Eddy Merckx, Belgian team), Mike (Coppi, Italian team) and Paul (Zoetemelk, Dutch team). Clayton (French team) and Ben (German team) also participated but were at a bit of a disadvantage since they came in late and couldn't close down the distance on the leaders.

Still had almost an hour and a half left in the session, so we split into two groups for the second half. Ben, Ron and Greg played Blox, won by Ben (who had brought the game) with 57 to 56 for Greg and 45 for Ron. Greg and Ron were complained they hadn't figured out the strategy, but it looks like Greg came close to beating Ben, the "teacher" for this one.

Mike, Paul, Clayton and I played Puerto Rico. Mike and I seemed to be on parallel tracks when we built the Harbor on the same turn. Then I got the Small Warehouse, Mike went for the Factory, I got the Guild Hall while Paul and Mike scarfed up the other large buildings (two each). I had a good shipping position and managed to win by just two points over Mike. Final scores: John 52, Mike 50, Paul 37, Clayton 23.

No comments: