Monday, February 23, 2015

February 19, 2015 Session Report

Winter weather struck this week, keeping attendance down compared to prior weeks. We had a total of seven (Patrick, Mike, Tim, Lina, Laura, Rembert and myself), and we split into two groups and got in a total of just two games that each lasted the entire session: Brew Crafters and Concordia, played with one of the expansion boards (UK).

Brew Crafters was a three-player, consisting of Laura, Tim and myself. We played with the Interns optional space that was used quite frequently by both Laura and Tim and, quite effectively I thought, by Laura. I drew first player and took the Barley Grower skilled worker and went with a first-turn Farm strategy. Laure and Tim each took a local partnership and, with the two of them grabbing Interns right and left, I didn't get any but was the first to add a second brewery shift early in the second year. That, plus the Brewpub and the Brewpub Manager, enabled me to forge a fairly comfortable win in a relatively high-scoring game: 95 to 83 for Laura with Tim, at 55, trailing. OOPS, just re-checked the scoresheet and I made a math boo-boo. I only had 85 to 83 for Laura, a very close game, that could have gone the other way had someone beat me to one of the three gold label rewards.

Concordia, as mentioned before, was played with one of the new maps, for Britain or the UK, and it produced a fairly competitive game. Mike won with 97 to 90 for Lina, the difference being the 7-point bonus Mike got for triggering the game-end. Rembert (79) and Patrick (75) were not that far behind.

Next week will be PrezCon in Charlottesville, so I will not be at the club, so Mike will be in charge. Hoping for better weather and more people in the coming weeks, obviously. Don't forget about Maryland Game Days, which is coming up in about two weeks, March 12-15, and the Doubletree in Pikesville (a new time and new location for the event).

No comments: