Friday, October 5, 2012

October 4, 2012 Session Report

Well, we were due for a bit of a down week, attendance-wise, only six (Alex, Doug, Tim, John B, Eric and myself) for this session.  We split into two groups for most of the session (although I had to be away for a bit due to a medical type emergency, i.e., getting some medicine from a nearby pharmacy).

Alex, Doug and I played a game of Piece o Cake and then two games of Timeline: Discoveries.  I managed to win another close game of Piece o Cake, 48 to 42 for Doug and 41 for Alex but really struggled at the Timelines:  Discoveries game, which seemed much more difficult than the regular game.  I missed like six straight questions and watched as Doug won the first game and Alex, the second.  I managed to finish with some momentum to come from behind to take second in the second game after getting about three or four questions in a row where I actually knew some of the answers.

Meanwhile, the other group (John B, Eric and Tim) played Power Grid and added a robot as the fourth player.  As it turned out, when I returned from my trip to the pharmacy, I was drafted as to take over the "robot" position, which was struggling and far back in last position, to say the least, having overspent on resources through the first few turns.  The game didn't last that much longer, as Tim managed to build to 17 and win it while others either lacked the capacity or were holding back for another turn.  Final scores:  Tim 17, Eric 11, John B 10 and John W 10.  I managed to tie with the other John but was far behind on money, not bad for a poorly programmed robot.

Doug and Alex had managed to complete a two-player Castles of Burgundy in record time, or at least much faster than a four-player game I played the other day.  It was a very tight finish, 168 to Alex and 164 for Doug.  Very well done by Alex in what I believe is his first time playing, but then Doug is a very good teacher of games.

We wrapped up the evening with a 6-player Bohnanza, but we ran out of time shortly after the first re-shuffle.  Final scores at that point were:  Alex 11, John B 10, John W 9, Eric and Tim 8, Doug 6.

Hope to see many of you at Congress of Gamers in Rockville this weekend.

No comments: