Thursday, April 17, 2008

April 17, 2008 Session Report

Once again, we had a total of six for tonight's session. Gabe, Paul, Nick, Doug, Ben and I split into two groups for a good part of the evening. Ben wanted another test of his fishing game, Open Water, and Paul and Doug obliged -- Doug wound up the winner, as apparently some recent changes with some smoother mechanics while providing players with choices were the primary added new features.

Nick, Gabe and I played Airships, a relatively quick-playing dice game that I had brought. Nick came out on top, 11 points to 7 for me and 4 for Gabe, who had some bad luck with his die rolls. In spite of the heavy luck factor, I kind of like the relatively quick-playing mechanics. Gabe had brought Parthenon, which I hadn't played in a while, and the three of us spent the bulk of the evening going through the ups and downs of perilous seas and random events in this risk management game. I won by finally getting my second Wonder completed with one season left in the game. Nick had all his buildings save for the second Wonder, while Gabe got both wonders built but was short two or three of the acropolis buildings.

Ben, Doug and Paul got in two games of For Sale, resulting in one win for Doug and one for Paul, Ben finishing second in both games.

Finally, all six of us hooked up for a couple of quick games of Cloud Nine, which is rapidly replacing Category Five as the end-of-the-evening favorite. Ben got through the first round of balloon trips unscathed to score a 65 to 62 win over Gabe in a game where I was the only one not to reach 50. Second game, which put us right up against the 10 PM close time, had Paul the winner with 58 points.

Nick has worked up some nice looking flyers for our club which I hope to get copied and have available in the next week or so. We hope to hand these out at events like Games Days and the Laurel Main Street Festival in an effort to bring in some new blood to the club.

No comments: