Thursday, December 20, 2007

December 20, 2007 Session Report

Attendance was down a bit this week, as Paul and I (the first two arrivals) were eventually joined by Eric, my co-host John Goon, and Sam. It was the first time at our club for Sam, who jas been an attendee at past sessions at the Beltsville club. Paul and I managed to complete a few hands of Quiddler, which I managed to win by 245 to 183 after making good use of those two letter cards for longest word bonuses. Then Eric joined us, and we played Guillotine; I thought I was doing fairly well when I got Marie-Antoinette to go with King Louis, but Paul turned out to be the winner, 29-27, with Eric a bit further back. Next up was R-Eco, which turned out to be a runaway victory for yours truly, 17 points to 6 for Eric and 3 for Paul (Eric being the only player who did not illegally dumping).

Sam had arrived and we taught him Vegas Showdown, in which he proceeded to stomp us by getting lots of diamond points (and three of the four fancy lounges). Eric got the theater to move up to second, while Paul and I fought for the honor of not finishing last. Final scores were Sam 83, Eric 62, Paul 48, John W. 47.

John Goon joined us for the final two games of the session: Uptown and Carcassone-Discovery. Sam made it two in a row by taking Uptown on the tiebreak of fewest captures; it was past the halfway point before Sam made his first capture, and I wound up having to start a second group. John G. won the final game, Carcassone-Discovery, by 10 points, 50 to 40, with Same finishing second. So, two wins and a second for Sam, who also learned three new games!

Finally, for those of you interested, the rumored visit of a Baltimore Sun reporter to our session did not materialized.

No comments: